Friday, March 30, 2012

Food For Thought

Ever so often, you have encounters and conversations with people that jolts you into thinking deeper and harder about your life.

It could be a cancer survivor that makes you realise the importance of a healthy diet and lifestyle. It could be a divorcee who has been through so much pain and struggle and come out of it an inspiration. It could be a mentor who motivates you to strive harder in the workplace.

I met someone like that last night who got me thinking about my career (or lack of one lol). There are no right or wrong answers about what you want in life, but that's exactly what made wonder: Just what do I want to do with my life (and career)?

I don't have a bad life, far from it. I have a job that I excel at and enjoy. I have a fantastic work-life balance that allows me to have a life outside the workplace. I travel quite extensively, for work and for leisure.

Sure, I'm not rolling in dough and raking in the big bucks, but I have enough. I'm quite content, but at the back of my mind, I've always known that I'm smart and I'm capable and that I can do more.

Can do and will do are two different things though.

And perhaps now is the time to do more, while I still can. While I have no commitments and can afford to take a risk. A small part of my brain feels like it woke up last night and is hungry for more. To be part of something greater, rather than just happily existing.

But I don't know what I want. And deciding what you want to do with your life isn't something that you think about overnight. So I guess I better start thinking now.

No comments: