My sister made mac and cheese today for brunch. Yummy. Mac and cheese. *slurp* Unfortunately I had to rush off for class, and only managed to get a small slice. It was tasty, but somehow the cheese was a tad grainy. We only found out later that it was probably because the temperature in the oven got too hot and made the cheese separate. We also suspect that it could be because we used a low fat milk.
We'll watch the temperature more closely the next time we try it, but I'm also tempted to throw in some mozarella cheese so that it'll all nice and "elastic" when you pull it up.
Mac and Cheese
Ingredients and Instructions:
1. Cook 226g of macaroni until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Fry 3 tbs flour in 3tbs butter until mix becomes blonde colour.
3. Add 1tbs dry mustard + 1/2 tbs paprika + 1/2 cup chopped onions + 1 bay leaf + 1 tsp salt to form a paste.
4. Slowly whisk in 3 cups of milk and simmer for about 10 mins whisking all the time.
5. Add a tbs of sauce to a beaten egg, then add egg mix back to sauce.
6. Take sauce off the heat and slowly add in 340g of cheese. Once sauce mix is ready, add the macaroni. Put into 350dF / 176dC oven for 30mins to bake.