Friday, October 12, 2018

Be Kind

Today, two things happened that reminded me that I need to be more kind and less bitchy. 

1. There was a work event all the way in the west side and none of my colleagues who drove were going back to the office after. The bus/mrt journey would have likely taken 1-1.5 hours. I asked another colleague who worked nearby if he was driving back, and if yes, could we hitch a ride in his car? 

Said colleague is someone who is loud (not in the booming voice way but more in the always have some things to say way)  and quite frankly, a little bit odd. I'm not a big fan and usually stay away. 

Honestly, I felt quite hypocritical being all nice and friendly this morning cos I wanted to hitch a ride and he said yes. And to make me feel worse, he dropped me off at my office as I had a work meeting before heading out to have lunch. 

Eeks.

2. Another colleague that I didn't really like cos she never smiles at you (even if you smile at her) and at a work event, interrupted a conversation I was having with someone to promote her school. I'm not particularly close to her, but at that same event today I saw her in a wheelchair. 

Long story short, she's been through some shit and it looks like she'll be permanently in a wheelchair. 

... 

I don't think I've been particularly nasty or bitchy to these colleagues, but it was a really good reminder today to treat people with loving kindness. You never know what they are going through and it doesn't hurt to be nice.  

No comments: