Monday, March 21, 2011

Three Weeks

My application for three weeks off in June has been approved and since then I've been trying to figure out what to do during this time.

It all started with me wanting to go to Europe. Couple of years ago, I thought it'd be a good idea to quit my job sometime in Oct 2011 (for those of you wondering why, it's because my birthday on 7 Oct and I'd be embarking on my third decade on earth.) The plan was to take 3 months off and just travel.

Europe was where I thought I'd go. And while I didn't really have any burning desire to see anything specific, a 46 day camping Contiki tour caught my eye. It was a whirlwind tour covering 23 cities (I think) all over Europe, and since it was done camping style, the trip would be relatively affordable.

Of course, fast forward to 2011 and while I've been *talking* about going, I haven't really done any preparation (reading up, or more importantly, saving up for the trip. Lol.) So taking a shorter trip seemed to make sense.

Surfed the Contiki website again, and found a shorter tour which didn't cover as many cities, but seemed to spend a good amount of time in France and Italy. Unfortunately, the flights for the tour dates didn't really work out and I'd have to choose between flying off later (not possible), or spending a good 600-700 bucks more to get a flight with proper timing.

Feeling defeated, I opted to go for a safer and familiar destination: India. I could book return tickets to Bangalore, and spend some time with the grasshopper, then traipse off on a train ride around India. Maybe I'd even trek in Ladakh! I threw the idea to the grasshopper, but he said that he could only confirm when he was back in Bangalore. The office had a few events lined up that he had to travel to. Also, I checked with LGG and Ching, and while Ching was keen to go to Ladakh, LGG already had booked tickets to Brisbane.

A new trip has cropped up, and it's to climb Mt Kilimanjaro in October. If that pans out, I might scrap plans to travel in June (maybe a short trip to India to see the grasshopper). Let's see how that goes.

So what's the point of this entry? Where am I going? I have absolutely no idea. It's just amazing that something as seemingly easy to plan as a three week holiday isn't that simple after all. Lol.

No comments: