Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Actually, I'm So Lucky

Picked this phrase up from P, who kept on telling us today over dinner, how lucky she's been. When you chat with her, you get a sense of how thankful she is of everything she has, and how she sees everything as such a blessing. (I think near-death experiences do that to you.)

And on my way home after dinner, I thought about it, and realised how lucky I really am.

I'm so lucky that I have such amazing parents. Not many people can say that they grew up in such a loving and affectionate family, but I'm lucky that I had a very happy childhood. I'm lucky that I have parents who are so supportive of me, yet not cloyingly so.

My parents tell me off, but take the effort to explain when and how I am wrong. They teach me different perspectives on things and harsh words are used sparingly (if at all), and a stern voice is usually the most I get out of them.

They lead by example, showing me how kindness, love, patience, generosity and hospitality should be. And I know that they do the best that they can to be parents that I can love, respect, look up to and turn to for advise or comforting words.

I'm lucky that my parents understand and know when to let go, yet are always be there for me when I need them. I'm lucky that they don't play mind games or guilt trips on me. I'm lucky that all my life, I've been showered with an unconditional love.

Most of all, I'm lucky that I share an affection with my parents and am not afraid to hug or blow a kiss to them. And I hope they know that I know how much they love me, and how much I love them too.

No comments: