Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Things I Did Differently Today

My usual morning routine when getting to work is pretty simple. My alarm clock rings at 6.50am, and again at 7am and again every 10 minutes until I finally wake up at about 7.30-7.40am.

After I drag myself out of bed (and turn off the snooze function on my phone), it's a mad rush. Pee, brush teeth, wash up, look for underwear, look for clothes, put on underwear and clothes and I'm out the door after giving my mom a quick hug. This takes all of five minutes.

I put on my music, walk to the bus stop, wait for my bus. I get on the bus, listen to music / play dragonvale, get off the bus. Pick up a cup of kopi and maybe a bao or sandwich on my way up to my desk. Turn on my computer and slowly have my breakfast while the day unfolds.

But not today.

Today I did things a little differently. I woke up (unwillingly) at 5am and lay in bed trying to fall asleep. By the time I was sleepy enough for my eyes to start closing, my 6.50am alarm clock rings.

I press the snooze button and roll around in bed, trying to figure out whether 30minutes of sleep now would help or hinder me. Somehow, I decide that I'd get up and have breakfast at home instead. Wouldn't it be great to have a healthy bowl of oats and a nice cup of coffee?

The alarm rings again, and instead of hitting the snooze button, I turn it off and sit up. I make my way to the kitchen, scoop up some oats, pour in some milk, and nuke the bowl for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, I head back to brush my teeth, wash up and figure out what to wear.

Fully clothed, I gather my bowl of oats and make myself a cup of coffee. Somehow in my sleep-addled mind it makes sense to open a pack of 3-in-1 coffee, and add two spoons of Nescafe.

I sit at the dining table and spoon mouthfuls of oats. The creamy, almost slimy texture feels odd against my minty fresh breath. I wash it all down with my coffee which tastes stronger and thicker than the one I have in the office.

With a full stomach, I make my way to the bus stop.

While walking, I realise my tummy has started hurting. I'm not used to eating so early in the morning.

I keep walking, the caffeine slowly working its magic. I suddenly realise that I shouldn't have added those extra spoonfuls of Nescafe. Well, too late. I also realise that I have not peed all morning.

So now here I am on the bus, legs tightly crossed. It's not exactly the best way to start my day. Lol.

No comments: