Thursday, January 19, 2012

Parenting Fail

I'm sitting here at Burger King, happily chomping down on 1000 calories worth of burgers and onion rings and there is a mother sitting at the opposite table, scolding her child.

The kid must be what, nine or ten? And while I don't know what she did to warrant such a scolding, the words that are coming out of the mother's mouth are just so harsh.

"Get out! Get lost! I don't want to see your face!"

WTF?!

The little girl goes off to sit at another table while the mother rants on and on to her husband. She's obviously angry, but is that how you should speak to a child?

I'm no parent, and I can't say what kind of parent I'll be next time, but I do want to raise my child in a loving environment and minimise saying hurtful things to them. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but do you have to say that you don't want to see their face?

Sigh.

Eventually the kid is asked to come back to the table by someone else (an uncle?) and she was not allowed to eat till her mother had given her an earful (of verbal abuse sheesh).

I don't know what to say.

2 comments:

Bern said...

my mum does that too/still... i guess its an asian thing...

bunnygoeszen said...

Bern: You serious? Wow that's harsh.