Sunday, November 2, 2008

And Sometimes, Things Don't Suck As Much

I think when you're going through a rough patch, you need to know what you can do to make yourself feel better. Here's my list:

*Give yourself time to mope. Let it all out, but don't wallow in self-pity and misery.

*Surround yourself with people who will treat you normally. Yeah I may be having problems, but I don't need to talk about it all the time. Tell me about your latest dive trip and how you saw mola molas, mantas and whale sharks this year alone.

*But make sure they don't take it personally if you don't have the most enthusiastic responses to their stories. They also have to know that any time you want to talk, they have to listen. Hahahaha.

*Talk about things that make you happy. I've found out that talking to anyone about my recent Nepal/Bhutan holiday almost instantly puts me in a better mood. Better yet, shove the camera/laptop in their faces and make them go through every single photo with you, while you chatter on with your commentary.

*Chocolate. Get friends who are going to the States to buy Ghirardelli squares back for you. (Thanks Wenzzz!)

*Buy me stuff. I'll take anything- food, drinks, books, movie tickets, massages. The list is never ending and I have no shame. Gimme gimme gimme!

*Go out. You don't have to spend a tonne of money, but just getting out of the house makes a difference.

..

At the end of the day, you've got to know that things will get better. It just takes time. So look forward, not back, and keep on going.

2 comments:

Ki said...

You're absolutely right.

I can't say I know how you feel, but I've had some pretty low points in my life, and that list is pretty spot on with how to make yourself feel better.

Adding on to the second one:
Surround yourself with people who are a little more upbeat and not wallowing in their own sorrows.

Are you still running? As a non-runner, I can tell you it does help. Exercise and the resultant endorphins are brilliant.

Or just stock up on chocolate. ;)

bunnygoeszen said...

Ah yes, agree with you on the upbeat people one.

Well I go for walks with my mom, not quite the same as jogging but the daily chats have been quite insightful.

I've always wanted pick up running again but.. too busy eating chocs. Lol.