Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How Long, Really?

I was having a chat with a colleague this afternoon and mentioned that I'm currently single (and hence said colleague should buy me lunch to cheer me up lol - always make full use of opportunities to get free meals!).

"How long has it been?"

"Almost three weeks."

"Aiyah, so long ago. You should be over him, right?"

Eh? Three weeks is long? Hmmm.

Actually I've never really thought about how long it takes to get over someone who has broken your heart. According to Sex and the City, it takes half the time you dated the person to move on. Wah lau eh, that means it will take me 10 months?! I hope not.

I don't think there is a fixed formula, though. It gets easier as time passes. But ever so often you encounter something that makes you smile, and the immediate reaction is to share that with him. Or a picture that you think he'd find funny. Or a song you know he'll like. Or a random corny thought that reminds you of a private joke. And it's at that very moment that you remember that he's no longer there, and a pang of sadness washes over you.

I'm just glad that such moments are now relatively far and few between.

No comments: