Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sometimes Doing The Right Thing Is Just The Right Thing To Do

Was on the train yesterday after my driving lesson, on my way to meet the girls to catch Dhamma Brothers at the cinema. I got on at Woodlands, plonked myself down on the seat and plugged in to my iPod.

A couple of stops later, someone gets on the train and sits directly opposite me. We make eye contact for the briefest moments and I realise that this was one of the Ex's uncles. My immediate reaction was to look away and pretend that I didn't see him, and to be busy texting on my phone. (Actually, I was busy texting on my phone. Lol.)

I felt bad though. Part of me wanted to go up and greet him, but I didn't want the hassle of having to make small talk. Plus, I couldn't remember the proper way to address him. (Uncle? Pak something?) So all I did was sit there, avoiding eye contact, frantically polling everyone via SMS on what I should do.

The question posed to the masses was: What do you do when you run into someone you don't want to on the train? And the common consensus was: Pretend to sleep.

Lol!

In the end, I decided that I didn't have anything to lose by greeting him. After all, I had no reason to be afraid. My gripe was with the Ex, not his entire extended family. And I did travel together to Malaysia with him and some other in-laws before.

So I finally stood up, walked over to him, smiled, (waited for him to smile back), took his hand and salam-ed, and then got off the train as though I had arrived at my station. And I felt so glad that I did.

No comments: