Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sticky Date Pudding

Because it's been such a long time since I posted any recipe, I thought I'd blog about what I made today: sticky date pudding. Ahh, I remember the first time I had it. I was at the Marmalade Pantry with LGG, and when I took my first bite, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was divine, and every mouthful was pure joy.

That was many years ago, and my obsession with sticky date pudding has somewhat waned. However, during my recent trip to Perth, my sister-in-law had made a batch of the stuff and all my long-forgotten memories of how much I loved it resurfaced. I got the recipe from her and came back and decided to try my hand at it.

And yes, making this was really as easy as my SIL said it would be. In fact, the hardest part was probably chopping up the dates (so sticky la).

Ingredients:
1 cup pitted dated, chopped

1 tsp bicarbonate soda

300ml boiling water
(mix and leave to stand)



1 cup castor sugar (I used less)

60g butter

2 eggs

1 cup self raising flour

1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Instructions:


Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs and mix well. Fold flour into batter. Stir in date mixture. Add vanilla. Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 30-40 minute. 



If you want to make a sauce for the sticky date pudding, here's a recipe. I didn't think it was very necessary though.

Sauce: 150ml cream + 150g brown sugar + 50g butter. Combine all in saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.

Om nom nom nom

No comments: